Last Updated on May 21, 2022
Nowadays roof rack is more popular than ever before. It is a known fact that roof racks increase the wind resistance of your car thus it increases your fuel consumption a little. Roof racks also make noises because of the wind. For these disadvantages many people raise questions like, “will a roof rack damage my car?” or, “are roof racks safe?” etc.
Did you also think about questions like those? Maybe yes. Otherwise, why would you be here? Fortunately, you are in the right place. We are here to clear all your doubts about roof racks. In this article, we will answer the questions mentioned above with some other information you should know about roof racks.
Will a roof rack damage my car?
No. Properly installed roof racks will not damage your vehicle. If you use it correctly, it’ll also give you a hassle-free service for a long time. However, a badly installed roof rack will be damaged and it will also damage your vehicle.
Are roof racks safe?
Yes. Any good-quality roof rack is safe to use. Pretty much any vehicle is capable of carrying a substantial amount of weight over the roof. To be sure about safety; first, ensure a perfect installation, and don’t carry goods over the limit of your vehicle’s capacity.
You can find your vehicle’s capacity on the user manual that came with the vehicle.
Do roof racks scratch your car?
Not if you use it properly. If you are carrying too much weight over the crossbars, they can bend or break. And that’s a way to scratch the vehicle with a roof rack. Another way of scratching your car is not using any protection under the clamps or towers when you are installing the roof rack.
Usually, the clamps or the towers are attached to the car’s body. If the roof rack doesn’t come with some kind of protection (to use under the clamps or towers), you should use some rubber pads while installing.
How to take care of your roof rack?
You should take care of your roof rack. Otherwise, you can damage your roof rack and the vehicle as well. The following instructions will help you to know how you can take care of your roof rack.
- You should remove it if you aren’t going to use that for a while. Removing and installing a roof rack is quite easy. As the roof rack stays over and is not protected by anything, it can get damaged by the elements.
- You shouldn’t carry too much weight on your roof rack. Every roof rack and vehicle has a weight limit. If you carry more than the weight limit, it’ll not only damage the roof rack but also the vehicle.
- Always be careful when loading and unloading. Also, tie-down any cargo you are carrying. You can scratch or dent the vehicle with the goods you are carrying.
- As the roof rack adds a little extra height to the vehicle, you should be careful when you enter a garage or parking space that has a low-height entry.
- When you are carrying anything on your roof rack, do not speed too much. Too much speeding can move the cargo and cause damage or even worse an accident if that somehow falls from the roof.
Roof racks are very useful accessory for your vehicle. A roof rack won’t do any harm unless you use or install it wrong. Try to buy a good-quality roof rack even if it costs a little over your budget. A good roof rack will give you a smoother driving experience. If you are planning to buy or already have a roof rack, take care of your roof rack along with your vehicle. It will ensure a long-lasting experience.