Last Updated on October 18, 2021
If you are a truck owner, it is your responsibility to maintain your tonneau cover. If you leave this unchecked, it can be damaged or got dirty. It will develop dents, scratches or it may look ugly due to being dirty. You don’t want this type of situation. Right? You can avoid these problems with proper maintenance. You can even make your tonneau cover look new.
The Tonneau cover is an important safety component, and many people don’t know how to open and lock the cover properly. In the following guide, we will explain how to clean your tonneau cover properly and make it look brand new. And Maintenance of a tonneau cover is really easy and you will learn this through this article.
Steps to Take Before Cleaning
You need to follow some steps before start cleaning your tonneau cover. You will have to check and make sure of some important things such as:
- Firstly, check the cover to see if it gets any scratches, dents, or bumps because it may cause problems while cleaning it with soap or some other cleaners.
- Then, remove the bolts and clamps so that these don’t get damaged.
- You can clean your tonneau cover in two ways: cleaning it while being attached to the truck or you can clean it by detaching it from the truck and taking it somewhere else. But, if you take it elsewhere, keep in mind that it should not be kept under sunlight directly. It is recommended that you do this under a tree or use something that shades that area.
- Give it some time to cool down if it seems heated by the sunlight.
Things you will need
To clean your tonneau cover, you will need to gather a few items that are essential for the cleaning. Mild soap and water are the most recommended cleaning solution. You will also need a bucket for water, some rags, and a bristle brush to scrub. Covers that are made of vinyl fabric need vinyl cleaners to protect the cover from fading and cracking.
Now, let’s get started with the cleaning procedure. Following are the right ways to clean your truck bed tonneau cover surfaces:
- Firstly, start by spraying cold and clean water on the cover and mop the surface for cleaning the grits using a towel.
- Make your cleaning solution by mixing soap and warm water.
- Soak the bristle brush with the solution and start scrubbing the surface of the cover. You can divide your tonneau cover into three or four parts using a marker to rub the surface more precisely. You should go smoothly and not put too much pressure on the cover.
- The solution will take some time to mix with dirt. Until the surface gets clean, repeat the process.
- Now, spray water on the cover again and clean the dirt mixed solution properly.
- Keep the cover as it is for a few minutes to make it dry completely.
- If it is a soft type of cover then it’s time to use vinyl cleaner by spraying it over the surface. Scrub the surface to spread it all over using a bristle brush.
- Clean the surface by spraying water again and soak the water from there. Let it dry and after that, you can apply a tonneau cover protectant.
Congrats! You are now done with cleaning your tonneau cover. Isn’t it easier to do? Yes, it is. You can also replace straps of a tonneau cover on your own.
Taking proper care, you can extend the life of your tonneau cover. You already know the procedure of how to make your tonneau cover look new and how to maintain it properly. Happy cleaning. For more assistance, leave us a comment below.
List of top tonneau cover for gmc canyon