Last Updated on May 6, 2022
The best way to protect the cargo on your truck bed is using a tonneau cover. Tonneau covers also protect your truck’s bed. This is one of the most popular accessories that most truck owners use on a daily basis. Tonneau cover also provides security for your cargo. This is our installation guide for Dodge Ram users.
In this article, we are going to provide step-by-step instructions to install a tonneau cover on your Dodge Ram. It doesn’t matter if you have a Dodge Ram 1500 or 2500, the installation process is the same.
Choosing a tonneau cover:
You should always choose your tonneau cover wisely. You should choose the best one according to your necessity and budget. A good tonneau cover should have a good build and good material and should ensure good security and weather protection. If you haven’t already bought a tonneau cover, you can see our article about the top 5 bed cover for ram 2500 and best truck bed cover for Rambox.
The tools mentioned below will work for any tonneau cover. It’s better if you have the exact socket or screwdriver that your tonneau cover needs. You should use protective glasses and gloves for your protection.
- Wrench – to attach the bolts on your tonneau cover.
- Screwdriver – to tighten screws.
- Scissors – to cut the weatherstrip
- Measuring tape
- Drill – If your tonneau cover has drain pipes, you’ll need one or two holes on your truck bed.
- Unpack the tonneau cover and all the parts. Check if there is any fault or damage on the tonneau cover.
- Check if there is any part missing.
- Prepare all your tools.
- If your tonneau cover has drain pipes, you’ll need to cut holes on your truck bed.
- If your truck has bed rail caps and the height of those is higher than the bed rails, you should remove them. Otherwise, the tonneau cover won’t be perfectly sealed.
Most tonneau covers have a simple installation process. In this article, we will give you generalized instructions that will work for any tonneau cover.
- If your tonneau cover comes pre-assembled like the Tyger T3, you don’t need to follow any instructions. Just put it over the bed rails and attach the pre-installed clamps as tight as you can. And that’s the installation process for this type of tonneau cover.
- The other type of tonneau cover comes with two side rails for each of the bed rails. Put the side rails over the bed rails.
- Check both the bulkhead and the tailgate side if they are aligned perfectly. Use a measuring tape if necessary.
- Use the clamps/bolts (these are provided in the box) to attach the side rails to the bed rails. You should attach one at the front, one at the middle, and one at the tailgate side. Don’t tighten the clamps/bolts all the way, you may need to adjust the side rails later.
- If your tonneau cover comes with a weatherstrip, attach it over the bulkhead. Cut the weather strip if it’s too long. If you have any bed liner that covers the bulkhead area and is thick enough to seal well, you can skip this part.
- Take the cover (the top part) and put it over the side rails you have attached.
- You will see a small hole on each side on the top part and each of the side rails. This is for the bolts/screws that attach the cover with the side rails. Tighten those screws with a screwdriver.
- Unfold/unroll the cover fully and check if it attaches with the lock (if your tonneau cover has one). There shouldn’t be any gap between the end of the tonneau cover and the tailgate.
- If you see any gap, you will have to re-adjust the side rails. If the gap is very small, you can use a weatherstrip for that.
- Now, tighten all the screws and clamps.
- If your tonneau cover has drain pipes, attach them with the tonneau cover and the holes you have on the truck bed. Using some rubber paddings will keep it tight.
*When you install the tonneau cover, keep these instructions beside you to make sure that you don’t miss any steps. Please wear protective glasses and gloves before you start the installation. Don’t tighten the clamps or screws too much. It can damage the truck bed rails or the tonneau cover.
A tonneau cover is an important accessory for a truck. It’ll protect your cargo and the truck bed in any weather. If you need any help to choose a tonneau cover for your Dodge Ram, you can check our website. We have multiple articles for that. You’ll be able to install any tonneau cover on your own Dodge Ram by following these instructions. If you face any problems while installing, let us know in the comment section. We’ll be more than happy to help you.