Last Updated on April 21, 2022
Have you just bought a Roll N Lock tonneau cover and worried about the installation process? Don’t worry, we’ve got your back. We are going to discuss elaborately about the installation of Roll N Lock tonneau covers in this article. Roll N Lock covers offer easy installation compare to other tonneau covers but we suggest you have patience and follow the instructions carefully for perfect installation.
Roll N lock tonneau covers are manufactured by Roll N Lock corporation. They have been the industry leader for a long period now in the retractable truck bed cover technology. There are three types of Roll N Lock tonneau covers and they all are retractable. A little description of the covers is given below.
- M-Series: This cover is made from low gloss vinyl material over aluminum. A Ratchet style latching mechanism allows the cover to lock in four different open positions.
- A-Series: This cover is made from matte powder-coated aluminum and this cover locks in four different open positions also.
- E-Series: This is an electric-powered retractable tonneau cover. It’s also made from matt powder-coated aluminum. An electric motor helps the cover to lock in five different positions using a remote key.
Things you will need for the installation
- Medium flat blade screwdriver
- Phillips head screwdriver
- 7/16-inch wrench or socket
- Measuring Tape
- Cordless screwdriver or
- A drill with number two Phillips bit
Roll N Lock Installation Procedure
The installation for the Roll N Lock tonneau covers is the same for all of their models. Let’s discuss how to install Roll N Lock tonneau covers.
- Firstly, remove the cover from the packaging and ensure that all the required parts are included before starting the installation.
- Remove the factory tie-downs on each side at the front of the bed because this interferes with the placement of the Roll N Lock housing and the tie-down holes are used to secure the housing flanges. Use a flat blade screwdriver to remove the tie-downs working the unit out through the hole.
- Now, install the housing support brackets that provide extra strength and rigidity to the Roll N Lock as it rests on the truck’s bed ribs.
- Then collect all the necessary parts from the hardware bag and insert the 1-inch bolt through the hole in the housing support bracket. Attach the plastic washers as well as the threaded tang.
- Once the housing support bracket is fully assembled insert the threaded tang into the bed hole that was exposed after removal of the tie-down. Tighten the bolt with a 7/16-inch wrench or socket while ensuring the housing support bracket is perfectly level with the top surface of the truck bed rail.
- Next, mold the butyl strip provided in the hardware bag into the gap between the housing socket bracket and the bulkhead of the truck. This will prevent water from entering through the gap. Repeat these steps on the other side of the truck.
- Lift the Roll N Lock housing onto the bed rails of the truck making sure the housing is set exactly in the center of the truck bed. It is recommended that you double-check the housing by measuring the distance between the edge of the housing and the end of the bed rail on either side.
- Remove the Phillips head screws located on either side of the lid. Upon removal of these screws slide the lid toward the bulkhead and remove it by lifting up.
- Collect the CB track brackets tangs and washers from the hardware bag and assemble the parts.
- Insert the fully assembled CB track bracket into the bed hole closest to the tailgate and hand tighten the bolt leaving the track bracket loosely positioned.
- Ensure that the pull strap is secured to the front of the housing then rotate the lock clockwise to release the latches. Slide each track into position ensuring that the pieces align.
- Secure the track to the housing by threading the screw through the pre-punched holes and into the cargo nut.
- Loosely attach each of the bed clips depending on your bed link. Finger tighten them for now.
- Now, attach the tailgate extrusion if your truck has a plastic tailgate liner you may need to trim it to clear the tailgate extrusion. Place the tailgate extrusion onto the center of the tailgate. Carefully measure to ensure that each side is an equal distance from each edge of the tailgate. Pay special attention to centering the extrusion as this is critical to ensuring your roll n lock function works correctly.
- Once the tailgate extrusion is centered check to make sure the tailgate extrusion is perfectly level with the top surface of the tailgate. Upon positioning correctly and beginning at the center attach the five black self-tapping screws into the pre-punched holes at the bottom of the tailgate extrusion. There will be unused holes in the extrusion simply space the five screws out evenly.
- Reposition the tracks and housing before fully tightening the clamps that were attached before.
- From the front of the bed shift the entire housing and tracks unit back until the tracks contact the tailgate. Then adjust the unit very slightly forward so that the back of the track caps aligns with the back of the tailgate extrusion.
- Also, move the back of the track inward until they almost touch the tailgate on each side. This adjustment process is the most critical step in ensuring the proper operation of your cover.
- Now, tighten the rear clamps so the track sits level and flushes to the bed rail. Be careful not to lose your adjustment. Do not allow the tracks to tip up or down. Tighten all the clamps. While tightening check that tracks are sitting level. Do not over tighten the clamps to prevent damages.
- Then, install the remaining two self-tapping screws through the flat surface of the housing and into the flange. This will ensure that the housing stays level. Then rotate the lock to the latched position and remove the plastic wing nut that secures the pull strap. Pull the cover to the tailgate until it latches. Do not allow the cover to roll back into the housing as this will damage the vinyl surface.
- Re-install the lid and lid screws onto the housing.
- Now, unlatch the cover and allow it to retract into the housing. The cover should easily retract with a light push. If there is any problem while retracting check the alignment of the tailgate and tracks.
- Install the screws and rubber washers onto the cargo bumper. Then install it onto the front of the housing with the slotted holes at the bottom.
- Using a half-inch drill bit make two holes in the bulkhead and apply your choice of corrosion inhibitor.
- Secure the pull strap to the interior of the truck bed and retract the cover several times to ensure its operating correctly. The installation is complete.
A tonneau cover provides safety, security, and ease of functionality for your truck, and installing it perfectly is one of the unavoidable responsibilities of you as a truck owner. Roll N Lock tonneau covers are not that hard to install as you already know. We have discussed every essential part of the installation for all the models of the cover. Follow the instructions carefully because a proper installation will save you time and also prevent the cover from being damaged at an early stage. If you face any problem while installing, you can take help from us. Leave a comment below for any kind of queries regarding this topic.
tonneau cover for ram 1500 with rambox
Tonneau cover cleaner
Tonneau cover for dirt bikes
Truxedo tonneau cover installation
Tyger tonneau cover install