Last Updated on May 9, 2022
Have you bought or decided to buy the Undercover Elite tonneau cover? It’s one of the best one-piece tonneau covers. You may have heard from someone that it’s a little hard to install. Well, installing this cover is relatively harder than some tonneau covers. But that doesn’t mean you should be worried about the installation.
We have prepared a step-by-step installation guide for you. All you need to do is to follow the instructions carefully. You’ll be able to install the tonneau cover with ease. It will take about 20-30 minutes though.
What comes in the package?
Before starting the installation, you’ll need to unbox the tonneau cover and check if all the parts are there or not. You’ll find the following parts inside the box.
- 2 rear mounting brackets
- 2 front mounting brackets
- 2 hydraulic struts
- 8 aluminum clamps with stainless steel bolts and washers
- 2 J-hook and wall mounting screws
- You’ll also find pre-installed 4 bar hinges with twist knobs on your cover
- A guide for the installation
You won’t need that many tools to install the Undercover Elite. You’ll only need a 3/8”, a ½” socket or wrench, and a measuring tape. Remember to wear protective gloves and glasses while installing the tonneau cover. You’ll also need the installation guide to attach the front and rear mounting brackets. Ask a friend or someone for help as you’ll need a second pair of hands to lift the tonneau cover and place it over the truck bed.
Let’s describe the installation process of Undercover Elite. All you need to do is follow the instructions accordingly.
- Installing the brackets requires a model-specific measurement. So, open the installation guide and take a look at the model-specific page. You’ll see a measurement where you need to attach the rear mounting bracket. For example, you’ll need to attach the mounting brackets exactly at 51 and 3/8th inches from the bulkhead.
- Using some kind of marker on that point will be better for the next part.
- Put the rear mounting brackets on top of the bed rails. Use 2 of those aluminum clamps with the stainless-steel bolts to hold the brackets in the exact position. Tighten them firmly but do not tighten them completely as you may need to make small adjustments later.
- There will be 3 holes for the bolts on each of these brackets. You should use the 1st and 3rd holes. If any of the holes are obstructed somehow, use the 2nd hole.
- Now, attach the front mounting brackets just like the rear ones. The model-specific page will also have the measurement for the front mounting brackets.
- In this part, you’ll need some help to lift the cover-up and put it over the truck bed. While you put it over the truck, remember to ensure the front flap is hanging over the bulkhead of the truck.
There are two slots on the 4-bar hinges. They will lock the cover with the posts on the mounting brackets on the front just like in the photo below.
- Secure the hinges with the mounting brackets by pushing the lid forward.
- Check all the sides of the tonneau cover. Push or pull the cover if you see any gap or think small adjustments are required. You should ignore any gap from 1/8” to ¼”. If the mounting brackets aren’t aligned with the 4-bar hinges, you’ll need to loosen them and make adjustments.
- Now, lift the cover-up from the back and secure the twist knobs on both sides.
- Install the hydraulic struts. You won’t need any tools for that. Just attach the large ends to the cover and the rod ends to each of those rear mounting brackets.
- Adjust the lock strikes upward or downward as needed. There should be approximately a 1/8” gap between the lock and the lock strike when the tailgate is down. The lock should turn without any resistance. Make further adjustments if needed.
This is the end of our step-by-step guide for “how to install Undercover Elite tonneau cover”. We have described all the procedures in sequence and as briefly as we could. We suggest you read the full article before and keep it right beside you while installing. Let us know if you have any other questions. We’re here to help you.
2022 chevy colorado tonneau cover
Nissan titan bed cover
soft tonneau cover for f150
Roll Up or Tri Fold Tonneau Cover
Sleep under a truck tonneau cover