Last Updated on May 6, 2022
If you have an ATV and want to haul your ATV on top of your tonneau cover, you must know that most tonneau covers cannot haul an ATV. Keep in mind that a full-sized truck with a long bed can carry an ATV or a smaller UTV. Other compact trucks can carry only small-sized ATVs. If you want to haul an ATV gear and its accessories on top of your cover you will need a hard type tonneau cover.
However, you can’t load ATV on every hardcover. There are some popular heavy-duty truck bed cover models that can haul an ATV such as Renegade Bed cover, RetraxPRO MX tonneau cover, Truck covers USA American Roll tonneau cover, Truck covers USA American Work cover, etc.
ATV loading: what do you need to know?
Before loading an ATV on top of your tonneau cover you should know a couple of things.
- Firstly, you must know that the average weight of an ATV is 500lbs. If your tonneau cover can handle a heavy load like this then you can load your ATV on top of your cover.
- Secondly, before loading the vehicle measure the ATV’s dimension to check out if your truck bed can carry it. Even if you can load a larger ATV on top of the cover, it is still recommended that you do not overload the tailgate. If you put too much pressure it can break the cables that can damage the tailgate and the bed cover.
Loading procedure of an ATV
Follow the steps below to load your ATV on top of your tonneau cover safely.
- Firstly, make sure that your tonneau cover is in locked position.
- Use the winch from the ATV to attach the cover to the cab.
- It is recommended that you have headache racks in place. Headache racks prevent the payload from falling off the cover while driving.
- You need to keep the tailgate open before attaching the ramps to the bed cover. Leaving the tailgate open may damage your tailgate.
- Now, attach the ramps with the bed cover and line each ramp up with the ATV’s wheel
- Now, attach and line each ramp up on the bed cover with the ATV’s wheel to keep it from falling off while loading. Make sure that it is attached securely.
- It’s time to pull your ATV on top of the cover. But before doing that you will have to attach the winch cable to the ATV or the cover.
- In order to keep the payload secure, fasten the quick-release tiedown rings to the cover after pulling the ATV on.
You already know that you have a limited truck bed cover option for loading your ATV on top of the cover. So, you will have to be careful about taking measurements of the ATV’s dimension and the truck bed cover’s strength. Otherwise, it may damage your truck bed cover for putting so much payload. Follow the above steps carefully to ensure your truck bed’s safety. If you have any questions, leave a comment below for our assistance.