Last Updated on November 16, 2022
The cover on your pickup truck is an essential item. It not only protects your cargo from the elements, but it also helps to keep thieves at bay. However, when it comes time to remove the cover, you may find yourself struggling.
This is especially true if you have a fiberglass tonneau cover.
- Open the cover: Most fiberglass tonneau covers can be opened by unlatching it at the front of the bed
- Some may have additional latches along the sides
- Lift the cover: Once all the latches are undone, you should be able to lift the cover off of the truck bed
- If it is stuck, try wiggling it back and forth until it comes loose
- Remove any clamps or brackets: In some cases, there may be clamps or brackets holding the cover in place
- These will need to be removed before proceeding
- Clean up any residue: Once the cover is off, inspect the truck bed for any residual adhesive or sealant
- This can usually be removed with a putty knife or razor blade
How Do You Remove a Solid Tonneau Cover?
Assuming you have a solid tonneau cover:
-Phillips head screwdriver
-Tape measure -Pencil or marker
-Ruler or yardstick
-Circular saw with carbide-tipped blade (optional)
1. Begin by opening up the cover.
Most covers will have some type of latch system that needs to be undone to open the cover. Once the cover is open, prop it up against something so that it stays open and doesn’t fall on you while you work.
2. Next, use your Phillips head screwdriver to remove any screws that are holding the rail system in place.
The rail system is what the cover rests on and allows it to slide back and forth. Once all of the screws are removed, you can take the rails off of the truck bed.
3. Now it’s time to remove the actual cover itself from the rails.
This part can be a little tricky, but just be patient and work slowly so you don’t damage anything. Start by removing any clamps or brackets that are holding the cover onto the rails. Once those are removed, gently pull the cover off of the rails. Be careful not to tear or damage it in any way.
4. If everything has gone according to plan, at this point you should have just the bare bones of your tonneau cover left (the frame and possibly some crossbars).
How Do You Remove a Tonneau Cover Clip?
Assuming you are referring to a snap-style tonneau cover: To remove a tonneau cover clip, first locate the clip on the underside of the cover. Then, use a flathead screwdriver or another thin tool to pry up the center portion of the clip.
Pry up the clip carefully otherwise, you can damage the surrounding materials. Once the center is pried up, the two halves of the clip will separate and come off easily.
How Long Does It Take to Remove Tonneau Cover?
It may vary from cover to cover. But, in general, a hard tonneau cover takes around 30 minutes to remove. This is assuming that you have all the proper tools and know how to properly remove it. If you do not have the proper tools or knowledge, it could take significantly longer.
How Do You Clean a Fiberglass Tonneau Cover?
Just follow the instructions below to clean your Fiberglass tonneau cover:
- Start by removing any dirt and debris with a soft brush or cloth. If the cover is particularly dirty, you may need to use soap and water.
Be sure to rinse the cover thoroughly afterward.
- Once the cover is clean, apply a protectant such as Armor All or 303 Aerospace Protectant. This will help repel dirt and stains in the future.
- If your cover has any scratches, you can try buffing them out with rubbing compound or polishing compound. Follow the instructions on the product label for the best results.
Taking the tonneau cover off of your F 250
How to Remove Tonneau Cover F150
If you have a tonneau cover on your Ford F-150, you may eventually want to remove it. Here’s how to do it:
1. Start by unlatching the cover at the front. There should be two latches, one on each side.
2. Once the latches are released, you can lift the cover up and off of the truck bed.
3. To remove the cover completely, you’ll need to detach it from the rear brackets. There will be four bolts holding it in place – two on each side.
Is it Easy to Remove a Hard Tonneau Cover?
As the name suggests, a hard tonneau cover is a rigid cover that fits over the bed of your truck. Unlike soft covers, which are made of fabric and can be rolled up or folded, hard covers are made of solid materials like plastic, fiberglass, or aluminum. That means they’re more durable and provide better protection for your cargo.
But it also makes them a little more difficult to remove when you need to access your truck bed. Here’s a step-by-step guide to removing a hard tonneau cover:
1. Start by unlatching the cover at the front of the bed.
There will be two latches, one on each side. Once you’ve released these, you should be able to lift up the front of the cover slightly.
2. Next, move to the rear of the bed and release any clamps, straps, or latches that are holding down the back end of the cover.
3. With both front and rear latches released, you should now be able to lift off the entire cover from your truck bed. If it’s stuck in place, check if there are any clamps, latches, or straps remaining. If not, you may need to wiggle it a bit until it comes free.
4. Once you have removed the cover, store it in a safe place where it won’t get damaged or dirty.
When you’re ready to put it back on, simply reverse these steps!
How to Remove Tonneau Cover Rails
It’s easy to remove your tonneau cover rails when you need to. Here’s how:
1. Unlatch the cover at the front and rear.
2. Lift the cover off of the truck bed.
3. Unscrew the bolts that secure the rails to the side of the bed.
4. Lift the rails off of the truck bed.
How to Remove Tonneau Cover from Ram 1500
If you’re looking to remove your tonneau cover on your Ram 1500, there are a few things you’ll need to do. First, you’ll need to remove the bolts that are holding the cover in place. There are typically four bolts located at the corners of the cover.
Once these bolts are removed, you can then lift the cover off of the truck bed. If you’re having trouble removing the cover, it may be helpful to consult your owner’s manual for specific instructions. Additionally, there are a number of online tutorials and videos that can walk you through the process step-by-step.
With a little bit of patience and effort, you should be able to remove your tonneau cover without any issues.
How to Remove Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover
If you own a truck with a tri-fold tonneau cover, you know how convenient they are for hauling cargo. But what do you do when it’s time to remove the cover? Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to remove a tri-fold tonneau cover:
1. First you should fold the tonneau cover to get access to the bulkhead side of the truck’s bed.
2. Now, you have to unlatch the front of the cover. There will be two latches, one on each side.
3. Once the front is unlatched, fold the cover towards the rear of the truck bed.
4. You should now be able to see the bolts that secure the cover to the truck bed rails. Remove these bolts (there will be four in total). 5. With the bolts removed, you can now lift off the entire cover and set it aside.
If you need to remove your fiberglass tonneau cover, there are a few things you’ll need to do. First, you’ll need to gather some supplies. You’ll need a drill, a screwdriver, and a socket wrench.
Remember to find the right-sized screwdriver and socket. Once you have everything, you can start by removing the screws that hold the cover down. Be careful not to strip them as you remove them.
Once all of the screws are removed, you can lift the cover off of the truck bed. If it’s stuck on there, you may need to use a putty knife or something similar to pry it up. Be careful not to damage the paint on your truck as you do this.
With the cover off, you can now clean it and make any repairs that may be necessary. When you’re finished, simply put the cover back on and screw it down tightly.