Last Updated on May 11, 2022
Do you want to remove your tonneau cover like a pro? Then without further ado just grab the information from this article.
As a result of protecting the truck bed from dirt, frost, rain, and UV light, truck bed covers can be damaged if they are removed randomly. To remove your tonneau cover professionally, you will need a set of tools and a pair of skilled hands.
How To Remove A Tacoma Tonneau Cover By Yourself?
So let’s get into the main part of the article. this section is meant for giving you an insight about removing the tonneau cover from your Tacoma in the easiest way without causing any damage to the tonneau cover, with this method discussed below you can remove the folding and roll up cover.
Items required for the process
You will need some tools for completing the job easily, so check your toolbox and see if you have a screwdriver, protective glasses for your eyes, and a wrench.
If you have these tools then let’s proceed to the next step.
How To Remove A Rolling Tacoma Tonneau Cover?
The steps are mentioned in a consecutive way below. follow them carefully and you will remove your tonneau cover in no time.
- First and foremost, open the cover.
- Use a screwdriver that matches the screw’s pattern. Remove the screws from the cargo shield. Pull the cargo shield away from the bed.
- Remove the factory grommets with bare hands
- Remove the top extrusion from the tailgate with a screwdriver by opening up the tailgate
- Cargo nuts are located on the sides of the bed at the rear of the car. Do you have them? Okay, now pull them out with your hands.
- Remove the rails from the sides of the bed.
- To remove the housing assembly, gently lift it and pull it into the front of the cab.
By following the above-mentioned steps you should successfully remove a rolling tonneau cover.
How To Remove A Folding Tacoma Tonneau Cover?
A tonneau cover that folds easily is the easiest to remove.
- Fold the cover completely as you normally would.
- Now with the bed buckles attach the cover that you folded
- Next look for the bolts for the attachment of the C clamps with the hinges
- Now if you are working alone, you have to stand on your truck bed and use both hands to pull the cover.
And just like that, you are done. No more steps to follow.
Tonneau Cover Removal Tips
When removing your tonneau cover, you should consider the following factors:
- Pay attention to the attachments affixed to the cover. It’s easy to damage them if you don’t. Eventually, you will have to spend more money replacing or repairing them.
- Your tonneau cover clips might feel stiff if you have not opened them for a while. For a better result, apply some lubricant to the clips and let them sit for a while.
- If there is a need for putting the bed on the top of your truck, use something between the bed and the truck’s surface to protect them from scratch marks.
- Ensure you have all the tools you need nearby.
You must pay attention to all of these things and factors. Please comply for your own sake.
A tonneau cover can’t just be uninstalled the same way you remove a bed cover. It requires a steady hand and familiarity with the process of removing a tonneau cover from a Tacoma. It is possible to further damage the cover and truck bed if you do not use the right tools and techniques.